Dry conditions impacting Travelling Stock Reserves
15 March 2018
Dams on some Travelling Stock Reserves (TSRs) across the Central West Local Land Services region are drying out.
Central West Local Land Services TSR Ranger Mick Ryan said that dry conditions have impacted TSRs in the northern parts of the region.
“Feed and water levels on some of our TSRs are very low, particularly in the Coonamble, Warren, Narromine and Nyngan districts.” Mick said
In response, Central West Local Land Services have implemented guidelines around the issue of permits in affected areas:
- Walking permits to remain at a minimum of 5km/day unless deemed by the TSR Ranger conditions require stock to travel 10km/day.
- TSR Ranger to assess water and feed supply on reserves before issuing grazing permits, and if deemed adequate, permits will not exceed one month.
- If TSR conditions do not improve during the permit period and the reserve deemed as no longer having adequate feed or water supply, stock owners will be notified that a further grazing permit will not be issued.
- Stock owners must have a plan in place to relocate stock in the event of a further grazing permit not being issued.
- No grazing permits to be issued on main circuits and drift ways to ensure feed is retained for travelling stock.
- No stock will be permitted on TSRs that are due to calf or lamb.
These guidelines will remain in place until conditions improve.
“We have also noticed an increase in stock utilising TSRs without a permit. This is an illegal activity and if found you may receive an infringement notice from Local Land Services and in the case of an accident your insurance company may not cover stock owners for any damages.” Mick said
If you would like to utilise a TSR to move stock or for grazing, please ring your nearest Local Land Services office and discuss your options with a TSR Ranger.
While dry conditions are definitely undesirable, Central West Local Land Services are utilising the opportunity to carry out desilting of dams that have dried out and investigating areas where installation of reliable water supplies will ensure ongoing viability of TSRs across the region.
To find out more about TSR usage or to discuss available options, call 1300 795 299 and speak to a TSR Ranger.
Media contact: Fiona Townsend, Central West Local Land Services, 0428 284 252